SafeBet Hidden Fencing Of Michigan

Serving all of Mid and lower Michigan Since 2003

 
Home
Containment FAQs
Fencing Packages
Installation FAQ
Training
Yard Layout ( Examples)
Recent News
Indoor Instant Barrier's
Deals and coupons
Buy a New Collar
Batteries
Shop online
Contact Us
Battery Program
Our Puppies
Batteries.Compare to Invisible Fence Brand
Reviews

Dogs and Easter Chocolate Don't Mix


dogs-chocolate

Easter weekend is a fun time for kids and families - but it can be a really dangerous time for dogs.

When Fido finds the chocolate bunnies, chocolate eggs and chocolate filled baskets that the bunny has hidden - he won't hesitate to dig in, not knowing that chocolate is toxic to dogs.

 

How Much Chocolate is Too Much for a Dog?

The level of toxicity of the chocolate really depends on the type of chocolate. Chances are, your child's Easter basket will be filled with milk chocolate. According to PetMD.com, dogs will likely have a reaction to 0.7 ounces of milk chocolate per pound. So, for a 10 lb dog, 7 ounces of milk chocolate is too much.

The "richer" the chocolate is, the more toxic it is to dogs. Semi-sweet chocolate can only be tolerated up to around 0.3 ounces per pound and baking chocolate is toxic at just 0.1 ounces per pound.

 

What are the Signs of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs?

If your dog has eaten too much chocolate, you'll likely notice symptoms such as:

  • Vomitting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Fast heart beat

 

What to Do if Your Dog Has Eaten Chocolate

If your dog does get into the kids' Easter baskets, get him to your vet. He/she can perform tests to determine if your dog ingested truly dangerous levels of chocolate, or just enough for a tummy ache.