Our pets are more than just animals who happen to hang out in our houses and backyards - they are part of our families!
As members of our families, we like to give our dogs special treats and top quality foods to keep them happy and healthy.
We've found a few recipes to help you make a special meal or treat for your dog - and feel good about what you're providing for him/her.
Simple Homemade Dog Food
We found this simple dog food recipe at AllRecipes.com:
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower combination
Place the water, ground turkey, rice, and rosemary into a large Dutch oven. Stir until the ground turkey is broken up and evenly distributed throughout the mixture; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Check the link above and read the "Reviews" section to find tips on making larger batches, properly grinding the veggies and substituting different meats and grains.
Homemade Peanut Butter Treats
Does your dog love peanut butter? Many do! And, much like with children, using peanut butter is a good way to sneak some protien and healthy fats into your dog's diet. We found this recipe at MoneyCrashers.com:
- 6 oz. container of plain, non-fat frozen yogurt
- 1 cup of no-sugar added fruit juice
- 1/2 cup of carrots, minced
- Add the yogurt, fruit juice, and carrots into a medium-sized bowl. Stir until the ingredients are smooth and well-blended.
- Drop the mixture into the ice cube trays by spoonful.
- Freeze until the ingredients are solid.